This project was pretty cheap. The mirror belonged to my grandma and the paint was free as part of a Glidden promotion awhile back. First I removed all of the screws in the back to seperate the frame from the rest of the mirror. I sanded and painted the frame, then added a stripe of champagne paint (left over from previous project) around the inside of the frame. Then a coat of polyacrylic once the paint had dried. Once everything was dry I reattached everything and hung the mirror over the changing table in the nursery.
DIY Project: Chest for Nursery
For extra seating and storage in the nursery I decided to refinish a chest my aunt gave me.
First I removed the hardware, fake wood drawer panels on the front, the top of the chest, and the wood handles on the top of the chest. I keep all of the screws I removed for the chest in a ziplock bags that I've labeled with a marker so that I'll know which screws reattach to which parts of the chest when I'm ready to reassemble. Then I stripped and sanded off the old finish. I wiped away all of the dust left over after sanding then used a wood filler to patch the holes left by the old hardware and the uneven spots left by removing the wood handles from the top and the wood panels from the front of the chest.
Once the wood filler dried I sanded again and wiped the whole thing down with a damp microfiber cloth. I chose to paint the chest Behr Gobi Desert.
Behr Gobi Desert 710C-3.
After applying a couple coats of Gobi Desert, I added a coat of polyacrylic to protect the chest.
I'm reupholstering the top in Damask Driftwood available at JoAnn Fabrics. It is the same fabric that I had made into slipcovers for my glider and ottoman. I love the color, the pattern, and how silky it feels.
Damask Driftwood from the Aegean Sea Collection, one of the Christopher Lowell Collections, available at JoAnn Fabrics.
I was not able to reuse the plywood and high density foam from the original seat because I am not going to reattach the wood handles that used be on either side of the seat. So I cut a new piece of plywood and high density foam then I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the seat which attaches to the top of the chest with screws that screw into the underside of the top. Finally, I reattached the top. Below you can see the completed chest before we moved it into the nursery.
For more DIY Projects check out My Bio.